At Monday's meeting, Council recognized our city volunteers, approved various board and commission appointments, and discussed several upcoming events.
Council proclaimed April 17 to 23 Volunteer Week to recognize all the volunteers that help make our community function. The city is only able to operate effectively through the work of these volunteers and the advice they give to City Administration and Council.
Council approved the appointments of Lynn Khadra to the Beautification Advisory Committee, Cherene Reese to the Board of Review, Emily Kemner and Adrianne Penney to the Citizens Engagement Advisory Committee, Mike Dooley to the Parks & Rec Advisory Board, Lynn Khadra and Heather Damron to the Technology Advisory Committee and Holly Tylenda to the Tree Board.
The Knights of Columbus' annual Tootsie Roll Drive was approved for Friday, April 8 through Sunday, April 10th from 8am to 7pm. They will collect donations to distribute to charities that support people with intellectual disabilities. They will be on Coolidge at the 12 and 11 Mile Road intersections
Other events of interest coming up:
- Every Friday through April 15 - American Legion Fish Fry (carryout only)
- Thursday, April 7 - Downtown Berkley Ladies Night Out
- Tuesday, April 19 - I resume my Talk with Dennis events at the library from 6 to 8pm. Stop by to ask any questions or share concerns you may have.
- Tuesday, April 26 - Tentative opening of Little Lou's Hot Chicken
- Sunday, May 1 - Downtown Block Party at Flipside Records just south of the library on Coolidge.
- Tuesday, May 3 - An election for Berkley Schools Millage Renewal. This is a renewal of an existing tax levied only on businesses and "second homes," not primary residents. The City Clerk has more information on voting.
At Parks and Rec, the fundraiser for an inclusive playground continues and summer camp registrations is now open.