After speaking with several local and state authorities, I have some updates on fireworks.
Update on Local Fireworks Laws
- There is nothing we can do to stop it. The state has taken away all of our control and there are no "loopholes."
- Berkley is going to look at preparing information to help educate people on safe firework use and disposal.
- Our Public Safety Chief and Fire Investigator are going to speak with others around the state on what they are doing.
- Representative Wittenberg is working at the state level to give local control back to municipalities.
Updates On Specific Incidents Over the Holiday
- The "show" on Kipling was using legal fireworks, but it was illegal to fire them from the street. They were discovered during a regular patrol and stopped as soon as it was safe to do so.
- The cause of the garage fire is officially "undetermined," but either improper firework or cigarette disposal is the likely cause.
What You Can Do
If you want cities to be able to decide for themselves what works best for them, contact both of your state representatives and let them know how you feel, why you think the law should change, and how the current law is impacting you.